Saturday, March 26, 2016

What would a blind person do?

Now that I have a solid idea of what I'm doing, I have to research the topic a bit more. I've basically been looking up what it's like to be blind, and what they have to go through. With this research, I am able to attempt to put myself in the mindset of somebody with this disability. First, I learned through aYoutube video by TommyEdisonXP, how blind people use guide canes. This is going to be necessary if I am going to make the main character use this device. The technique I learned is to put the stick out in front of you on the opposite side of whichever leg is stepping, then switch as you take another step. The stick stays moving side to side, and whenever it hits something, you move out of the way. Since my character is going to be walking through different paths in nature, this will be necessary to avoid any major obstacles in the way. I also learned through an article that many blind people do wear sunglasses, either to protect their eyes (since many times they are sensitive to light), and because some are self conscious of their eyes. These both work in my favor since my main character is going to be slightly introverted/insecure, and since my character does not have the coloration in the eyes that normal blind people have, I will be able to cover this up with the use of sunglasses. Lastly, I found little known facts about blind people that are actually quite helpful since they come from somebody that is actually blind. The most important facts I discovered were that, many times, even though others try to be respectful, many just come off as condescending when trying to help those with the disability. In addition, many blind people are skilled at mental mapping and have learned to focus their attention towards their other senses. This is useful because I need the main character to have a reason for her insecureness (condescending people) and be able to make her way around (with the use of mental mapping). The character is really starting to develop in my eyes, and I will begin filming next week.




TommyEdisonXP. "How Blind People Use A White Cane." YouTube. April 01, 2014. Accessed March 27, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoeUyyCpStA.
"Why Do Many Blind People Wear Dark Glasses?" Imponderably. March 27, 2011. Accessed March 27, 2016. https://adibzailan2011.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/why-do-many-blind-people-wear-dark-glasses/.
Fagan, Chelsea. "21 Questions You’ve Always Wanted To Ask A Blind Person (And Their Answers)." Thought Catalog. November 18, 2013. Accessed March 27, 2016. http://thoughtcatalog.com/chelsea-fagan/2013/11/21-questions-youve-always-wanted-to-ask-a-blind-person-and-their-answers/.

2 comments:

  1. Your research is wonderful, especially researching what it’s like to be blind, since this relates to your main character. This ensures that you’re accurately representing your character. The concept of having a silent film is also great because, like you said, it intensifies the emotion of a scene.
    Your blog is clear and very indicative of your entire process, and your personality is evident, which makes the blog even more interesting. It’s good to admit when you’re stuck, but it makes the process that much more real and relatable. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I wanted to praise you for being so detailed with what exactly you're envisioning. As an outsider looking in, I am completely enthralled by your plot and theme. It reminds me a lot of the book The City Of Ember, specifically the final pages where the children finally reach the surface of the Earth and see the world they were told was a myth. I think this opening will be very raw and filled with emotion just by reading the different shots you wish to utilize. Your research is clear and concise and shows how dedicated you are to bringing this story to life. Obviously, it is very difficult to mimic the movements of a blind person but this shows that you have a clear idea of your main character. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete