Saturday, March 26, 2016

The train starts moving...

I've begun to start thinking of the shots I want to create now. I'm still going to incorporate many of the techniques I have previously mentioned such as the parallel editing, the use of silence, and very specific details such as framing and expression. I also am going use the first part of the scene to foreshadow as previously mentioned. I will be making the first half of the scene a flash forward to a situation occurring later in the movie. In this first half, it will be the main character walking in nature, still lost, hungry and tired. She will then take a rest and begin to hear the sounds around her. Now that she is finally taking them all in, they become a bit overwhelming and start increasing in intensity. The sounds she will be hearing are going to be ones from the first four shots of the opening, in which I will be inserting short cuts to establish a bit of the setting/surrounding and giving away a bit of her disability. I want to incorporate the framing used by directors like Lynne Ramsay, where a bit of the face is cut off. The part I will be cutting off at first will be the eyes, which helps get the audience to make the connections and come to the conclusion that she is blind. The sounds later in the scene when she is resting will increase to a point where they become overwhelming, and eventually will just be a very loud jumble/buzz of sounds. This is where parallel editing and a sound bridge of the girl will be used to transition the scene to the beginning of the story. The story will begin with the main character screaming out of frustration because her disability is hindering her from doing some mundane task in her house. The scene will then continue to show her struggle with living with this obstacle, and because of it, it has made her introverted and secluded. The idea of the first few cuts of scenes (close-ups) comes from the movie ROOM, where the movie begins with very short cuts to establish setting and situation. The parallelism comes from the Jurassic Park movie in which there is a sound bridge/graphic match of a lady screaming and a man yawning with a train screeching in the background. The framing comes from some films directed by Lynne Ramsey in which she cuts off parts of her characters' faces. Finally, the idea of a scene from later in the film being shown in the beginning of the film comes from the movie The Kings Of Summer. I am trying to incorporate techniques used by professional directors to make my opening look more professional and to intrigue my audience from the start. I began my storyboard and will continue to plan out the sequence. Here's a sample of the storyboard so far:


No comments:

Post a Comment