Thursday, March 17, 2016

I am now completely stuck, but I might as well go Into The Wild.

I have recently been attempting to explain my idea for my opening to my fellow peers and professor, however, as they give me their feedback and their interpretation of what they believe the opening would look like, I am realizing I am not as fond of the idea as I thought I was. Everybody is interpreting the opening as one that focuses on a dystopian setting in the future. This is understandable due to the way I had thought of setting the sequence up, but this is not how I originally planned the opening to be. I wanted to focus on the ideas of an appreciation of nature, discovery, awareness, or even a suspenseful sequence. I find that now-a-days, dystopian-like films are very much overused, and me creating this opening would not be original, nor would it be something I am passionate about, which would be noticeable in the story. 

I have to keep searching for a subject I am passionate about, and I need to be quick about it. I still need to create my storyboard, and will soon need to begin filming, which will be hard since I am traveling to Puerto Rico for a week in a few days. I have been looking at films such as Into The Wild, which portrays 2 different versions of nature throughout the film, a peaceful side and a dangerous side. There is a presentation about the certain cinematographic techniques that make whatever situation the main character is in seem either calm or aggressive, which you can check out here. It basically states that slower, longer, more open and natural shots tend to give a sense of freedom in nature, which shows his appreciation for his environment (a route that I could go). Also, more rapid and closer shots create a sense of suspense and danger in nature (another route I could go). 

Not only are shots important, but music is extremely influential, making the scene more dramatic or slower. To help me brainstorm of the sequence I'd like to create, I've been listening to different music tracks made specifically for films on websites such as Bensound.com. Slower music with instruments such as guitar, piano, and violin impact the scene by making it more dramatic, while faster paced music, usually with drums, make the scene more suspenseful. These samples of tracks help me to create an image in my mind of what I would like to make in real life, but I have not yet thought of an amazing idea. Lastly, I visited one of the locations I had in mind for a short period of time on my bike to try to get some inspiration, but a solid idea has not come about yet. I love the location Yavin IV they used in Star Wars, with trees surrounding a temple and the light slightly shining through the trees, and I hope whatever direction my plot goes, I'll still be able to incorporate some location similar to this one.

Smith, Melanie. "Cinematography in 'Into the Wild'" Prezi.com. December 2, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2016. https://prezi.com/yxxrwxegtena/cinematography-in-into-the-wild/

 "ROYALTY FREE MUSIC by BENSOUND." Bensound. Accessed March 18, 2016. http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music/cinematic?sort=p.date_added. 

 Wikipedia. Accessed March 18, 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yavin.

No comments:

Post a Comment