Saturday, March 19, 2016

New ideas. Also, Youtube isn't just cat videos.

My friend and I were talking about films recently, and he brought up the Youtube channel Every Frame A Painting. I had heard of it before, but had never truly checked it out. After a bit, I went online and watched some videos that are actually pretty useful. They gave me more ideas as to what I'd like to do and how I'd like to do it. I checked out two videos that I felt would help me through this process.

The first video is called Martin Scorsese - The Art of Silence, which you can check out below. It basically talks about how Scorsese uses silence as much as he does sound in his videos, and silence might be the more important aspect. He uses sound in a way that brings out the emotion of the scene, whether it be romantic or depressing or intense. This technique often makes the audience feel a bit on the edge because they might not be used to such silence, which helps them to pay attention even more, making the scene all the more powerful. Many times, he completely juxtaposes sounds, with the loudest scene being immediately followed by the most silent scene in the movie, which, again, just makes it even more powerful and helps the director make the audience feel a certain way. However, the silence often feels different each time because it is tied to a different scene or theme. Something great the video mentions is that if a movie is constantly loud, nothing will seem else will seem loud anymore because that is all that is heard, but if a movie uses silence, the audience knows which moments are truly loud or not. I'd really like to try to emulate this in my opening in some way to bring out the emotion.



The second video is called Lynne Ramsay - The Poetry of Details, which you can also check out below. Here the subject is about the details of a film, and how they can all come together to create poetry through sound and image. Ramsey is not extremely complicated in the way she creates her films, and often focuses on one detail in certain scenes to really put emphasis on it. There isn't any need for there to be excessive details in a single scene because the message/focus can be lost. She relies on the expression of a person's face heavily, and makes it so that that actor can express an idea or convey an emotion without having to say anything. I need an actor like this, because for my film, I don't think I am going to use much dialogue. Framing is also important because Ramsey sometimes frames the subject in a way that doesn't give away too much of the scene, and allows the audience to infer what is occurring. This implication she puts forth is noticeable throughout all her films because she creates them in a way that makes the audience have to work a bit to find certain connections and messages, even though the techniques are simple.


A key feature through these videos and techniques is the simplicity. There is no need for anything out of this world to portray the message you want, and I really like that. I'd like to use these techniques in my sequence, and I have another idea for my opening, but I don't want to give away too much yet. We'll see what ensues in the coming days.

Every Frame A Painting. "Martin Scorsese - The Art of Silence." YouTube. June 14, 2014. Accessed March 20, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrTRjEXjSM.
Every Frame A Painting. "Lynne Ramsay - The Poetry of Details." YouTube. May 7, 2015. Accessed March 20, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjY9kf7TuUU.

No comments:

Post a Comment